The Royal Wedding Cake Recipe

Here is the official recipe we used to use in the royal kitchens at Buckingham Palace to make the Chocolate Biscuit Cake that Prince William has chosen for his wedding cake.

Chocolate Biscuit Cake

Chocolate Biscuit Cake

Makes 1 cake – 10 portions

Her Majesty the Queens favourite afternoon tea cake by far. This cake is probably the only one that is sent into the Royal dining room again and again until it has all gone.

4 ounces dark chocolate.(for the cake)

4 ounces granulated sugar.

4 ounces unsalted butter. (softened)

1 egg.

8 ounces Rich tea biscuits.

½ teaspoon butter for greasing.

8 ounces dark chocolate (for coating)

1 ounce chocolate (for decoration)

1. Lightly grease a 6 inch by 2 ½ inch cake ring and place on a tray on a sheet of parchment paper.
  2. Break each of the biscuits into almond size pieces by hand and set aside.
  3. Cream the butter and sugar in a bowl until the mixture starts to lighten.
  4. Melt the 4 ounces of chocolate and add to the butter mixture whilst constantly stirring.
  5. Beat in the egg to the mixture.
  6. Fold in the biscuit pieces until they are all coated with the chocolate mixture.
  7. Spoon the mixture into the prepared cake ring. Try to fill all of the gaps on the bottom of the ring because this will be the top when it is un-molded.
  8. Chill the cake in the refrigerator for at least three hours.
  9. Remove the cake from the refrigerator and let it stand while you melt the 8 ounces of chocolate.
  10. Slide the ring off the cake and turn it upside down onto a cake wire.
  11. Pour the melted chocolate over the cake and smooth the top and sides using a palette knife.
  12. Allow the chocolate to set at room temperature.
  13. Carefully run a knife around the bottom of the cake where the chocolate has stuck it to the cake wire and lift it onto a tea plate.
  14. Melt the remaining 1 ounce of chocolate and use to decorate the top of the cake.

32 Responses to The Royal Wedding Cake Recipe

1. Victoria says:

I’ll never forget the day my Grandmother came to me one morning, with a container filled with something that looked like chocolate cake. She said this is the most amazing cake you will ever eat in your life! Chocolate Biscuit Cake is my fav!!

2. Pingback: Will & Kate’s Cake « Gimmetherecipe

3. The cake looked great on television I hope it tastes as good as it looks

4. Donald Augustine says:

I don’t find the recipe for the PB & J Bacon muffins.
    I am not sure how to find it.
    Could you help?

5. Marilyn says:

Thank you so much for posting this!

6. Regina Riggs says:

When I Copied the recipe for The Royal Wedding Cake Recipe off I got “twitter” and “facebook”in the middle of the directions. How am I going to make a cake when I can not read the directions?

7. Johanna says:

Thank you for posting this recipe. My seven-year-old son and I made the cake this afternoon, in preparation for the wedding tomorrow. His twin sister will help us put on the icing tomorrow afternoon, and we will share it with friends Friday night! My son was very interested in helping to make the “Prince’s Cake”….and I know he’ll make a fine chef some day! Thanks for helping us share in the fun.

8. ISHKK says:

REGARDING SALMONELLA /RAW EGGS AND SAFETY:
    IS THERE A TIME FRAME FOR THE EGG TO BE HEATED UP AND SUFFICENTLY BEATEN AND BLENDED INTO THE MELTING CHOCOLATE? I LOVE THAT THE RECIPE DOES NOT CALL FOR AN OVEN! ALSO WONDERING IF THE RECIPE MIGHT WORK WITHOUT THE EGG, AND IF THERES A VEGAN VERSION, THAT’D BE GOOD TO KNOW.
    THANKS!

9. Christine Frederiksen says:

To be in the proper spirit of the moment, I’ll wear an outrageous hat while cooking. But what is a rich tea biscuit? Help.

10. Where do you get the tea biscuits? What kind and what brand?

11. Ila Lardinois says:

I am looking forward to making your chocolate biscuit cake but I am concerned about not cooking it when it contains eggs. Was this a miss-print?

12. I would like the recipe for Prince Williams wedding cake .Will you email it to me?

13. The cake looked wonderful on tv today. I’m going to treat my family and make it. Many thanks for sharing the recipe.

14. lucy says:

I wonder about the raw egg in the cake.

15. Donna Johnson says:

Regarding the biscuit cake….Exactly what are rich tea biscuits?

16. Steve says:

What type of dark chocolate?

17. Darren says:

Any chocolate under 58%

18. ann green says:

Does this recipe call for 4 oz butter(1 cube) or 4 TBSP butter (1/2 cube) ? I see it written both ways and am not sure which us correct. Thank You.

19. H Chen says:

Thanks for posting this recipe. Could you please confirm if the amount of butter to be used is in fact 4 ounces? Your recipe on some other websites states 4 tablespoons (or 2 ounces) instead.

20. Kim says:

McVitie’s Rich Tea Biscuit is what was used. The nearby military post carries it in the commissary. You might find it on the international food aisle in larger chain markets. Calorie count per SLICE is between 412 and 505 calories.

21. Catarina says:

I made this cake yesterday and was delight … I just posted on my blog.
    Thank you for very much for the recipe.

22. Joyce Wilfong says:

Explain what is a Rich Tea Biscuit and where to purchase. Is there as substitute?

23. Sara says:

Yes it works just fine without the egg. I have made this one for years and never used an egg,

24. Sara says:

Just leave it out, it works fine and keeps really well that way.

25. jean says:

I use apple sauce instead of eggs. Works great.

26. jim says:

on tv it was showing the pastry chefs making the cake and brandy was mentioned, yet none of the recipes I see online contain brandy?

27. Julie says:

what are rich tea biscuits and where can i get them around here.

28. Lynda Bridges says:

I used Pecan Sandies as a substitute for the cookies

29. Darren says:

Brandy was used in the fruit cake for the Brides cake. My recipe was the chocolate biscuit cake which was the grooms cake.

30. Pingback: Eating Royally: A Cookbook Fit for a Princess — so you wannabee a Domestik Goddess?

31. Erin says:

McVitties is a standard. You should be able to find them at a decent “worldly” market.

32. Carol Bradford says:

Just bought the book and read it straight through. It’s fun to know that there are still people who eat right out of Escoffier and Pellaprat. That era won’t last much longer. I thought I’d try the Gleneagles pate first but not sure I can get smoked mackerel. Any substitutes? And I won’t be multiplying the recipe, probably dividing it and making 1/3 which sounds like plenty as it’s rich.
    And I have to ask, why do you make your own sponge cake but buy pound cake?